Under a contract with the Village of Union Grove, Johns Disposal provides residential garbage, recycling, bulk item and yard waste collection services to residential properties. These services are funded 100% by property taxes and are not billed to residents as a special charge on the tax bill or utility bill.

Each residence is provided with a 95-gallon brown garbage cart for garbage collection and a 95-gallon green cart for recycling collection. If a replacement cart is needed, or for any additional questions, contact Johns Disposal at office@johnsdisposal.com  or (262) 473-4700 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8-4:30, Saturday 8-12).

  • To download the 2024 Collections Calendar, click here.

Collections Information


  • Place carts out before 6 a.m. on the date of collection.
  • Garbage (brown cart) is collected every Tuesday.
  • Recycling (green cart) is collected every other Tuesday. Homes located north of 13th Ave. (but NOT including 13th Ave.) have recycling collection the same week, while homes on 13th Ave. and south of 13th Ave. have recycling collection the alternating week.
  • If Tuesday is a holiday, collections take place on Wednesday.

Garbage and Recycling Carts

  • The arrows on the cart should point toward the street; handles and wheels face away from the street.
  • Carts should be placed on different sides of the driveway, at least 3 feet from the street (unless snow or other circumstances require the carts to be placed in the street).
  • Please keep 6 feet of clearance between carts and other objects (especially mailboxes and vehicles).
  • When there is snow on the ground, place your carts within the apron area of your driveway, 3-4 feet from the curb.

Acceptable Items in Brown Garbage Carts

  • Mixed trash, plastic wrap, plastic bags, broken toys, ceramics, light bulbs, bagged garbage and food waste, styrofoam, and other loose trash are acceptable.
  • Bags that are tied keep the cart clean, so please bag these items in the brown garbage cart.
  • Do not put the following items in the garbage carts: yard waste, recyclables, household hazardous waste, cardboard boxes, construction materials, and electronics.

Acceptable Items in Green Recycling Carts

  • Aluminum cans, clean aluminum foil, tin and steel cans, aerosol and empty/dried paint cans, glass bottles and jars, #1-7 plastic, milk cartons, juice boxes, soup cartons, newspaper, magazines, books, mail, school/office paper, brown corrugated cardboard, gray chipboard, brown paper bags, and shredded paper (in clear plastic bag).
  • Do not put recycling in plastic bags (except shredded paper).
  • Do not put the following items in the recycling carts: styrofoam of any kind, yard waste, trash, household hazardous waste, construction materials, electronics, and clothing.

Bulk/Large Item Collection

  • Bulk collections are scheduled by appointment only. Call Johns Disposal to schedule an appointment before setting out bulk items.
  • Residents may schedule one bulk items collection per month at no charge. Additional bulk items collections are available through the month for a charge.
  • Excess garbage and recycling that does not fit in the regular carts is acceptable for a bulk collection. Garbage must be in bags or personal cans. Recycling must be in clear plastic bags.

Other acceptable bulk items include furniture, carpeting (no wider than 4 feet and rolled), large metal items, cardboard (flattened and empty), appliances, tires (2 per home/8 per year), drain oil & antifreeze (sealed in 1-5 gallon containers), humidifiers, dehumidifiers, water softeners and air conditioners.

Electronics (E-Waste) Disposal

  • Many household electronic items are banned from Wisconsin landfills and are not collected by Johns Disposal as part of regular garbage collection. These include computers, printers, monitors, TVs, DVD players, VCRs, fax machines, cell phones, mice and keyboards, and other computer accessories.
  • The Village typically arranges at least one E-Waste collection event per year at the Wastewater Treatment Plan – look for information in the Village newsletters about these events.
  • Alternatively, a special electronics pickup can be arranged with Johns Disposal at (262) 473-4700 (fees apply).
  • The Wisconsin DNR provides a list of electronics’ collection sites on its website.

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

The Village partners with the City of Burlington and other area communities to offer an annual “Clean Sweep” for collection of household hazardous waste items. Look for information about the annual clean sweep in the Village newsletters or on City of Burlington’s website. Private waste disposal companies in the area may also offer hazardous waste disposal services.

Medicine Disposal

Most unwanted medicine can be properly disposed using the collection box at the Union Grove Municipal Center. Remove all packaging and bring pills in a clear plastic bag. Sharps or biohazardous material will not be accepted in the collection box. The Village Office can collect sharps if they are in a hospital-issued sharps container or a container made of heavy-duty plastic (this can be a laundry detergent bottle or liquid laundry softener bottle).

Christmas Tree Disposal

Union Grove Public Works Department picks up Christmas trees left at the edge of the road during the month of January. Please remove lights, ornaments and other items before placing them out. Collections are for natural trees only. You do not need to call for a pick up, but please call if your tree has not been collected within 10 days.

Tire and Motor Oil Disposal

Tires and motor oil are no longer collected at the Public Works Department. These items are accepted by Johns Disposal by arranging a special pickup.

How do I dispose of leaves, branches and other yard waste?

Visit the Leaves, Brush and Yard Waste Collections page for more information.

Who do I contact for more information about garbage and recycling collections?

Contact Johns Diposal at (262) 473-4700 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8-4:30, Saturday 8-12) or e-mail office@johnsdisposal.com. Or contact the Union Grove Municipal Center at (262) 878-1818.

Skip to content