Leaf, Brush & Yard Waste
To encourage property maintenance, the Village offers a variety of collection services for leaves, branches and other yard waste:
Yard Waste Collections
Curbside yard waste collection is provided by Johns Disposal on the last Friday of the month, March through November. Note the collection date may be delayed due to a holiday (see the Johns Disposal Collections Calendar). Set yard waste items at the curb for pickup by 6 a.m.:
- Place clippings, leaves and garden debris in marked reusable containers or compostable bags (not in plastic bags).
- Brush must be less than 6″ in diameter and 4′ in lengths, bundled together and weighing no more than 50 lbs.
- Stack bundles no more than 4′ high and 10′ long; limit of one pile this size per pickup.
For questions, contact Johns Disposal at 262-473-4700 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8-4:30, Saturday 8-12) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brush collections by Union Grove Public Works takes place the third week of each month, from April through November. Brush collections are for branches with a maximum 6″ in diameter with a preferred length of at least 6 ft. (although branches as short as 4 ft. will still be collected). For questions, contact the Municipal Center at 262-878-1818.
Leaf collections by Union Grove Public Works takes place beginning about mid-October of each year and continues through Thanksgiving, or when the first major snowfall occurs. Rake leaves to the edge of the road beginning in mid-October for pick-up. Please set out leaves only, as branches and other matter can damage the leaf collection equipment. For questions, contact the Municipal Center at 262-878-1818.
While the Village encourages use of the collections services listed above, open burning of leaves, brush, clean wood and other vegetative debris is allowed under certain circumstances:
- Except for campfires and permitted bonfires, open burning shall only be conducted between 9:00 a.m. and the earlier of the following: Sunset or 7:00 p.m. All recreational fires shall be out by 12:00 a.m.
- Open burning shall only be conducted at a location at least 25 feet from any structure and ten feet from any property line.
- Open burning shall be constantly attended and supervised by a competent person until the fire is extinguished and is cold. The person shall have readily available for use such fire extinguishing equipment as may be necessary for the total control of the fire.
- Fires shall not be ignited with flammable or combustible liquids, such as gasoline, kerosene, fuel oil, diesel fuel, etc.
- No materials may be burned upon any street, curb, gutter or sidewalk or on the ice of a lake, pond, stream or waterbody.
- All allowed open burning shall be conducted in a safe nuisance free manner, when wind and weather conditions are such as to minimize adverse effects and not create a health hazard or a visibility hazard on roadways, railroads or airfields.
- Except for barbecue, gas and charcoal grills, no burning shall be undertaken within 25 feet from any combustible material, combustible wall or partition, exterior window opening, exit access or exit unless authorized by the fire chief.
- Open burning shall be conducted in conformance with all local and state fire protection regulations.
- Except for barbecue, gas and charcoal grills, no open burning shall be undertaken during periods when either the fire chief or the state department of natural resources has issued a burning ban applicable
to the area.
- No open burning may be conducted on days when the department of natural resources has declared an ozone action day applicable to the County of Racine.
- Open burning shall be conducted only on the property on which the materials were generated or at a facility approved by and in accordance with provisions established by the department of natural resources and the fire chief.
- Burning of trees, limbs, stumps, brush or weeds for clearing or maintenance of rights-of-way is allowed if approved by the fire chief.
For questions about open burning, contact the Municipal Center at 262-878-1818 or the Union Grove/Yorkville Fire Department at 262-878-4181.