A property assessment is the value placed upon your property by the Village Assessor. This value determines what portion of the local property tax levy will be borne by your property. Property assessment information for the current year is available at assessordata.org and historical assessment information is available online from Racine County’s land records database.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is the Village Assessor and how do I contact him/her?

The Village contracts with Jim Henke of DH Assessments for municipal assessment services. Contact Jim at jhenke4737@gmail.com or (262) 498-7473.

Will I be notified if there is a change in my assessment?

Whenever the assessor changes the total assessment of any real property or any improvements taxed as personal property by any amount, the owner must be notified in writing and mailed at least 15 days prior to the Board of Review meeting (and at least 30 days in a revaluation year).

What is a “revaluation” and when does it take place?

A revaluation is done by the assessor when the property records are outdated or inaccurate, assessment uniformity is poor, a full revaluation hasn’t been done for 10 years, or reassessment is required under state law. A full revaluation includes on-site inspections (interior and exterior), measuring and listing all buildings, taking photos, and sketching buildings.

What can I do if I disagree with the assessment of my property?

If possible, you should first arrange to meet with the Village Assessor to examine your assessment records. When you meet with your assessor, review the records for your property and discuss how your assessment was made. If you are unable to meet privately with your assessor, you should attend the “open book.” “Open book” refers to a period of time before Board of Review when the completed assessment roll is open for examination.

If you have discussed the matter with the assessor, and you are still not satisfied, make arrangements with the Village to appear before the Board of Review. To assure a hearing, you must provide a written or oral notice of your intent to file an objection to the Village Clerk at least 48 hours before the first scheduled meeting of the Board of Review. In addition, a written and signed form of objection to property assessment must be filled out and filed with the Village Clerk within the first 2 hours of the Board of Review’s first scheduled meeting. An objection form can be downloaded from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.

How do I find out more about the assessment process?

For more information on assessment procedures in the State of Wisconsin, view the Wisconsin Department of Revenue’s Guide for Property Owners or contact us.

Skip to content